Ok...so my first two movies were not on my co-worker's list, but they were movies I really wanted to see, so I bumped John Wayne down a few slots. That's another bonus. You can take anything in your queue or anything new to your queue, and re-number it to move it up or down on your list.
Couples Retreat was not the comedy I thought it would be, but it was really good. It did have some funny parts (with Vince Vaughn how could it not?!). One couple was having marital problems and contemplating divorce because of infertility strains. They found this great resort that caters to couples with problems and offers counseling and activities geared at strengthening their marriages. The problem was they could only afford to go there if they could get three other couples to go with them so they'd get the group discount. One couple was happy and didn't feel the need to go but wanted to help their friends. One couple was waiting for their daughter to go to college so they could finally divorce and the other couple was new. He was recently divorced and was rebounding with a late teens-early 20's girl who insisted upon calling him "Daddy." After landing, they learn the island's split into two-one side for marriages in trouble, the other for singles. The ending was predictable with the original couple realizing they could have sex for more than just baby-making, the second couple realizing their marriage wasn't as good as they thought, the third couple realizing they don't want to divorce afer all, and the cradle robber reuniting with his wife. What surprised me was that some of the goofy things the counselors said and had the couples do opened my eyes up to some things I'd like to change about my own marriage because 15 years together and hectic schedules have caused us to become a little complacent and lose some of the romance. Will put this one on my "to be purchased list."
The Hurt Locker was particularly sensitive for me right now with my brother-in-law just over half way through his third tour in Afghanistan and my only brother in his third week of boot-camp as a new Army Reservist. It's about those heroes of heroes who are called in when IEDs are found and dismantle them with frequently disasterous results. After the EOD specialist who's been with them the entire tour is killed with only a few weeks left to go, his replacement arrives and he's not exactly a team player. He takes chances, goes off his mike and generally does whatever he can to cause heart failure in the man that's supposed to keep him alive. This was also a good movie, but not one I'll be adding to my "to be purchased" list. Once was enough, but it certainly made me aware of a specialized group of men I wasn't aware of before. I may not believe in the cause, but I believe in our men and women and will support them with all of my heart.
Returned these two on Tuesday (President's day) and got the next two Thursday. So far only draw-back has been the fact that it's an extra $3.99/month if you want Blu-Rays. I've chosen to forego this option, but it's a personal preference.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment